Skip to content Skip to footer

Other Local Help

We sometimes tell people about other organisations who can also help them with their problems. A list of some of these organisations and what they do is set out below.

Not sure what to do? Talk with us first 

OrganisationSubject Areas CoveredEligibility Criteria
South Westminster Legal Advice Centre
Family Law
Personal Injury
Local people on low income
Cardinal Hume

cardinal hume
Benefits advice
Housing advice
Immigration advice
Learning and employment advice
Family centre
Young adults homeless hostel
Local people who are homeless, or Westminster residents
Westminster Housing Options Service

wcc logo
HousingWestminster residents
Asylum Aid

General debt, housing, employment and benefits
Getting into work training
Immigration and Asylum
For those who live in Westminster and English is not their first language
Age UK Westminster

Welfare Benefits
Financial advice, including later life planning and personal budgeting
Befriending service
Winter Checks
Complex Needs Resolution service
Westminster residents aged 55 and over; or those who are a carer of an older person who lives in Westminster

Domestic violence support specialists
listen, help you understand your options, explain your legal rights, talk to the police for you, help you get to safer housing , attend court with you.
Women aged 13+, living in Hammersmith, Fulham, Kensington, Chelsea, Westminster

If there's something troubling you,
get in touch with the Samaritans
Report Hate Crime

Hate Crime (hatred on the gounds of race, religion, sexual orientation, transgender identity or disability)Everyone


Getting help from a solicitor

Sometimes people can benefit from the help of a solicitor.


Legal aid is still sometimes available to pay for some or all of your legal costs. You can check if you are entitled to legal aid to pay for costs here.
If you are not entitled to legal aid but are a member of a Trade Union, they might provide free legal representation for a variety of issues, and not just employment issues.

Sometimes you might be paying for insurance for costs with legal help as part of your house insurance deal. Not many people know they are paying for this so it is a good idea to check your contract.  Not sure what to do? Talk with us first.

Choosing a solicitor

Citizens Advice Westminster does not make recommendations for any solicitor firm, but if you would like legal advice from a solicitor, choose from the list available at The Law Society website.  (The Law Society is the professional association governing and representing solicitors in England and Wales).

Using a solicitor

For information on why to use a solicitor, go to the Law Society website.

When you have chosen a solicitor, you will need to make an appointment. Always check for information relating to fees before you make an appointment. Take all relevant documents to the appointment, check this with the solicitor. Prepare a list of questions in advance of any appointment. Take identification with you to any appointment, such as a passport or driving license.     

For more guidance around using a solicitor, visit the national Citizens Advice website.