Universal Credit – How to apply
How to apply
- How is it paid
- How does it work for couples
- How does it work if you are self employed
- Moving from other benefits
Preparing for your Jobcentre interview
You’ll need to go to an interview at a Jobcentre to finish your application – this is sometimes called a ‘work search interview’ or ‘claimant commitment interview’.
The interview will be with a member of staff who’ll become your ‘work coach’ while you’re getting Universal Credit. You’ll meet your work coach regularly – they should support you and help you find a job.
How to get on-line – free digital training
If you are wondering how to get on-line to create your account our booklet Universal Credit Services in Westminster contains information on where you can go for free digital training in every ward in Westminster.
If you have limited or no IT skills, this will give you the confidence to be able to manage your relationship with the DWP.
To log on and create your Universal Credit account, you will need an email address.
Prepare to create your account
The video below will tell you what personal and financial information you will need to have ready when you log on for the first time.
For full information on the new process and how this will affect you visit the DWP Universal Credit website.
Assistance claiming Universal Credit
Your local Jobcentre Plus office (St Marylebone) will help you with claiming online. Help to claim is also available from the council at the 2 Housing Benefit offices below from 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. Computers are available for you to use at these offices and there are members of staff on hand to help you.
Help from Citizens Advice Westminster
- If you need to seek further information you can call our Adviceline number on 0300 330 1191.
- As Universal Credit is paid in one single payment, we can provide money advice if you need help budgeting for all your outgoings from a single monthly payment. Please ask Jobcentre Plus to refer your details to our Universal Credit Project for assistance with budgeting.